This course describes splicing three phase primary cables and secondary cables. It also includes splicing in a length of cable and how to install a secondary splice.
- Describe “phase matching” three single conductor cables.
- Describe how to splice in a length of primary cable.
- Describe how a metallic mesh wire replaces a concentric neutral on a primary cable.
- Demonstrate how to splice secondary cable.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
Three-Phase Single Core Primary
- Explain the “phase match” for three single conductors, jacketed primary cable splices.
- Explain why “training” cables for a splice is important.
Splicing in a Length of Cable
- Describe how primary cable may need to be cut to remove a damaged section of faulted cable.
- Describe how to install a heat-shrink splice on a primary cable with a jacketed concentric wire layer.
Three-Phase Three-Core Primary
Secondary Cable Splicing
- Explain three phase primary cable within a single cable jacket and how to identify each phase.
- Explain how to install a metallic mesh wire as a concentric neutral on a primary cable.
- Identify differences between primary and secondary cable construction.
- Demonstrate how to perform a cold-shrink splice, or a molded mechanical splice, and explain how a heat-shrink splice is done on a secondary cable.