This course describes several ways to splice primary and secondary cables. It also includes instructions for using splice kits to splice primary cable.
- Describe how to splice primary cable.
- Describe how to use splice kits.
- Describe how to splice secondary cable.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
Primary Cable Splicing
- Explain how mechanical presses and hydraulic presses are used to install compression connectors to join conductor ends.
- Describe one method of completing a tape splice on a single-conductor, jacketed primary cable.
- Describe or demonstrate how to install a molded slip-on splice on a primary cable with a concentric neutral.
- Describe or demonstrate how to install a heat-shrink splice on a primary cable with a jacketed concentric wire layer.
Secondary Cable Splicing
- Identify differences between primary and secondary cable construction.
- Describe or demonstrate how to perform a split bolt (mechanical) splice, a heat-shrink splice, a cold-shrink splice, and a rolling ring seal splice on a secondary cable.