Cable splicing is the process of joining two cable ends together while maintaining the cable’s original design characteristics. This course focuses on cable design and preparing a cable for splicing.
- Identify the different parts of a typical primary cable.
- Explain how cable design affects the capabilities of primary cable.
- Explain how to prepare a cable for splicing.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- Identify the major parts of a primary cable.
- Discuss variations in cable construction.
Voltage Stress and Stress Relief
- Explain what voltage stress is.
- Explain how a layered cable design helps to counteract the effects of voltage stress.
- Explain how a layered cable design helps to provide the relief of static charges.
- Describe one method of preparing primary cable for a tape splice.
- Identify equipment that can be used to prepare primary cable for a tape splice.