This program presents some of the equipment and methods that can be used to set utility poles. The program describes three methods for digging holes, and outlines both power-operated and manual methods for installing poles. The program also includes guidelines for installing poles in open areas and safety considerations for installing poles around obstacles and energized lines. Additionally, this course describes basic methods for removing and replacing poles.
- Describe three methods of digging a hole for a utility pole.
- Explain basic requirements for preparing a job site for pole setting.
- Identify the basic steps involved in rigging a pole.
- Describe how to use a digger derrick to set poles in open areas as well as in areas with obstacles and/or energized lines.
- Describe how to set poles manually in open areas as well as in areas with obstacles.
- Describe how to remove an old pole after a replacement pole has been installed.
- Describe how to lift and set a pole using pikes.
- Describe how to replace a pole with a new pole in the same hole.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
Digging Pole Holes
- Identify basic requirements for preparing a job site for pole installation.
- Describe how to use a digger derrick, a portable power hole digger, and manual digging tools to dig a hole for a utility pole.
Setting a Pole
- Describe guidelines for rigging a utility pole before lifting it.
- Explain how to use a digger derrick to lift and set a utility pole in an open, unobstructed area.
- Explain how to use a digger derrick to lift and set a utility pole around energized lines or other obstacles.
Setting Poles Manually
- Identify some of the guidelines to follow when replacing a pole manually.
- Describe how to set a pole manually in an open area.
- Describe how to set a pole manually in an area with obstacles.
Manual Pole Removal
- Describe how an old pole may be safely removed after a replacement pole has been installed and the energized lines have been transferred.
- Identify the basic components of a typical hand-operated pole jack, and explain how it is used.
Manual Pole Setting
- Describe how a utility pole can be set by lifting and supporting it with pikes.
Manual Pole Replacement
- Describe how a replacement utility pole can be set in the same hole as the pole it is replacing by using the “cut and kick” method.
- Describe some of the rigging considerations associated with the “cut and kick” method.