This course examines hazards that may be present during overhead line maintenance operations. The course also introduces protective equipment designed to create a barrier between linemen and high voltage lines and equipment, and reviews safety practices that will help ensure a safe work environment.
- Discuss safety practices associated with overhead line maintenance.
- Identify potential electrical, structural, and climbing hazards associated with overhead line maintenance.
- Identify and discuss the function of protective equipment used during overhead line maintenance.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- Describe the proper attitude toward safety in overhead line maintenance.
- Identify electrical hazards in overhead line maintenance.
- Identify structural hazards in overhead line maintenance.
- Describe storage procedures for equipment used in overhead line maintenance.
Care and Use of Safety Equipment
- Identify safety equipment commonly used in overhead line maintenance.
- Describe the proper testing and maintenance procedures for safety equipment.
- Explain the proper use of safety equipment.
- Explain how to store and inspect climbing equipment.
- Identify some of the most common hazards that may be found prior to climbing a pole.
- Identify types of circuits and voltage levels.
- Identify grounds and grounded equipment.
- Describe how to create a safe work area using insulating covers.
Safety With Tools and Equipment
- Describe safe methods of using tools and equipment designed for overhead line maintenance.
Pole Top Rescue
- Describe how to safely handle an electrical shock victim when he’s on a pole.
- Explain the correct way to tie a handline to an electrical shock victim.
- Describe how to safely lower an electrical shock victim from a pole.