This program is designed to provide an introduction to the basic components that make up a transmission line. The program presents a basic overview of structures, conductors, and insulators commonly found on transmission lines. The program also covers the basic tasks that must be accomplished in order to build a transmission line.
- Explain the basic purpose of a transmission system.
- Identify and explain the functions of the basic components that make up a transmission line.
- List and explain the basic tasks involved in building a transmission line.
SUBJECTS & OBJECTIVES
- Explain the purpose of the transmission portion of a T&D system.
- Identify the components that make up a typical transmission line.
- Explain the basic purpose of a power grid.
- Explain the purpose of conductors.
- Describe some of the basic characteristics of conductors.
- Differentiate between solid, stranded, and bundled conductors.
- Explain the purpose of insulators.
- Recognize and identify the types of insulators commonly used on transmission lines.
- Identify and describe some of the typical mounting positions for insulators on transmission lines.
- List and explain three basic classifications of structures used on transmission lines.
- List and explain some of the factors that affect the design of transmission structures.
- List and explain some of the key tasks that must be performed in order to construct a transmission line.
- Explain the basic process for stringing conductors.