This course discusses the principles of protection and monitoring in a transmission and distribution system. The course explains the role of protective devices, system grounds, and monitoring and control equipment. Techniques for installing or replacing ground rods, arresters, and fuse links are presented. The course also describes how monitoring and control equipment is typically used in a transmission and distribution system.
- Explain how system grounds, arresters, and fused cutouts are used to protect transmission and distribution systems, and describe how these components are installed and maintained.
- Describe the basic function and features of a SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) System.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- In general terms, explain how system grounds, arresters, and fuses protect a T & D system.
- Briefly describe three types of monitoring and control equipment used in T & D systems.
- Describe factors that affect the resistance of current flow to earth.
- Describe one method for installing a ground rod.
- Describe how substations, distribution systems, and transmission systems are typically grounded.
- Explain the principles of arrester operation.
- Describe the basic operation of a valve type arrester, a pellet type arrester, and an expulsion type arrester.
- Compare and contrast three classes of arresters.
- Describe one method for replacing a damaged arrester.
Fuses and Fuse Cutouts
- Describe the operation of an open-type fuse cutout and a door-type fuse cutout.
- Describe the operation of a fuse link.
- Explain how fuses are rated.
- Describe one method for replacing a fuse link in an open-type fuse cutout.
Monitoring and Control Systems
- Describe the functions of a monitoring and control system.
- Describe some of the important features offered by most monitoring and control systems.
- Explain the functions of the major components in a SCADA system.
Distribution Automation and Load Management
- Explain the function of a distribution system.
- Describe the functions of a distribution automation system and a load management system.
- Describe some of the important features offered by most distribution automation systems and load management systems.
- In general terms, explain how most distribution automation systems and load management systems operate.
- Describe the functions of the controllers in a distribution automation system and a load management system.