This course is designed to familiarize trainees with the basic safe work practices and safety equipment that are used in transmission and distribution maintenance work.
- Identify the basic hazards encountered in T&D maintenance work.
- Describe the basic clothing and safety gear used in T&D maintenance work.
- Explain how to carry out equipment inspections, job planning, and job site preparation.
- Identify basic job hazards particular to overhead and underground line maintenance.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- Describe the individual’s role with respect to safety on the job.
- Identify hazards that may be encountered in transmission and distribution maintenance.
- Identify and describe basic clothing and personal safety equipment used in transmission and distribution work.
- Describe personal rubber gear.
- Describe hot line cover gear used to insulate energized equipment.
Safe Work Practices
- Describe how to perform a pre-use inspection on a bucket truck.
- Describe how a tailgate session is used to plan a job.
- Describe how to secure a safe work area at a typical job site.
Overhead Line Maintenance
- Describe how to test a pole before climbing it.
- Describe how to inspect pole climbing equipment.
- Describe techniques for climbing a pole.
- Describe how to apply hot line cover gear by hand and with hot sticks.
Underground Line Maintenance
- Describe how to inspect a manhole.
- Describe how to test the atmosphere under a manhole cover.
- Describe how to inspect a pad-mounted transformer.