Many tools use hydraulic power to make a job easier. Some of the common jobs on electrical systems involve lifting or digging. This program discusses the major working parts, controls, and safe operating procedures for hydraulic derricks. The program also demonstrates how to use a digger derrick to dig a hole and install a utility pole.
- Locate and identify the major working parts and controls of digger derricks and conduct a thorough pre-trip inspection of the truck unit.
- Discuss factors to consider in order to safely operate a digger derrick.
- Describe how a digger derrick is used to dig a hole and set a utility pole.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- Identify the major working parts of a typical digger derrick.
- Identify the major controls of a typical digger derrick.
- List factors to be considered when operating a digger derrick.
Digger Derrick Operation
- Conduct a thorough pre-trip inspection of the truck unit.
- List factors to consider when positioning a digger derrick at a job site.
- Describe how a digger derrick is used to dig a hole.
- Describe how a digger derrick is used to install a utility pole.
- Describe the advantages of a Mini-Derrick in rear-lot pole setting jobs.
Appendix: Pre – Trip Inspection Training