This program describes some of the common safety hazards found in URD work environments and how to minimize the effects of electrical, atmospheric, and structural hazards. The program also presents a vault emergency situation and discusses safe rescue procedures.
To identify and describe safety hazards associated with URD line maintenance
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
Work Area Safety
- Identify safety guidelines to follow before beginning work in an underground or URD work environment.
- Describe methods for inspecting underground and URD work environments for physical hazards.
Tools and Test Equipment
- Describe how to use the following: a pocket statiscope, a phasing tool, a remote cable spear, and a remote cable cutter.
- Identify the excavation conditions that require shoring.
- Determine when different types of shoring are required.
- Describe safety guidelines for shoring trenches.
- Identify some safe alternatives to shoring.
- Identify atmospheric hazards that may be found in vaults and enclosed spaces.
- Describe how to use atmospheric test devices.
- Explain how to use ventilation equipment to supply fresh air to an enclosed area.
- Describe general safety guidelines that should be followed in the event of a vault emergency.