This course identifies and describes three common types of underground residential distribution (URD) systems: radial feed, loop feed, and double feed systems. URD components, cables, and terminations are also introduced and discussed. This course also describes how URD cable and equipment are installed. It describes checks performed during typical URD system maintenance inspections and how the flexibility of URD systems allows various portions of a loop feed URD system to be installed without interrupting service to customers.
- Identify and describe three common types of URD system designs: radial feed, loop feed, and double feed.
- Identify and describe the function of various types of equipment used in URD systems.
- Describe different types of URD cables and terminations.
- Describe how URD cables and equipment are installed.
- Describe procedures for typical URD system maintenance.
- Describe how portions of a URD system can be isolated with minimum disruption of customer service.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
Types of URD Systems
- Identify sources of power for a typical URD system.
- Describe general equipment and design considerations associated with URD systems.
- Describe radial feed, loop feed, and double feed URD system designs.
URD System Components
- Recognize and identify various types of URD system equipment.
- Describe the functions of potheads, switchgear, transformers, and protective devices commonly found on URD systems.
- Recognize the differences between pad-mounted, subsurface, and direct-buried equipment.
Cables and Terminations
- Recognize and identify different types of cable used in URD systems.
- Recognize and identify different types of cable terminators used in URD systems.
URD Equipment Installation
- Describe methods of installing URD cable.
- Describe methods of installing URD equipment above ground, subsurface, and direct-buried.
URD System Maintenance
- Describe procedures for checking equipment in an open loop URD system.
- Describe how various components of a URD system can be isolated without interrupting service to customers.