This course is a general introduction to fault location in primary URD cable. The course covers capacitor discharge equipment, how it is used to locate faults, and a demonstration of how to locate a cable fault.
- Describe the features, controls, and functions of the power source for one type of capacitor discharge unit.
- Describe two types of tests commonly performed on primary URD cables.
- Describe how to use capacitor discharge equipment to locate a primary cable fault.
SUBJECTS AND OBJECTIVES
- Explain what a ground fault is.
- List the essential components contained in URD fault-locating equipment.
Capacitor Discharge Unit
- Identify and explain the purpose of the controls on a typical capacitor discharge test unit.
- Explain the function of the high potential (hipot) test.
- Explain the function of the capacitor (cap) discharge test.
Locating a Primary Cable Fault – Parts 1 & 2
- Interpret a system diagram.
- Describe how to verify that a cable is dead.
- Explain how to connect the cables on a capacitor discharge test unit so that it can be used to test for cable faults.
- Describe how to use a pickup and detector with a capacitor discharge test unit.
- Describe how to use a capacitor discharge test unit to pinpoint the location of a fault.